Province urges measles vaccination as cases rise

Date:

The province offered an update last week on what has been a severe respiratory season being dealt with by a health care system that is already being challenged by the measles outbreaks.

And the latter has added to the pressure that is always present during the virus season.

“We have to be aware the risk is quite high,” said chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin during a press briefing last week. “This is even more than what we’ve seen in similar times during the pandemic.”

Roussin did cite particular concern in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region, but there was now also a larger exposure to measles at the recent Manitoba Ag Days in Brandon.

“We have over 30 cases that we can link to Ag Days right now and counting,” Roussin said. “On Feb. 9, we had 12 positive cases; that was our highest number at any point during this outbreak.”

At this time, he noted, health officials are not considering mandating vaccination, but their message is clear that it is recommended, especially for children, adults, and others who may be at risk.

“We’re going to continue to rely on our messaging, access, and again trying to build that trust with health care workers and people of these high risk areas,” Roussin said.

He emphasized the province is taking a co-ordinated provincewide plan to help manage the pressures and maintain and manage safe care for patients.

“Public health, Shared Health, regional health authorities, and front-line teams work together throughout a province-wide approach. Real-time monitoring, daily co-ordination and activation of surge plans as needed are really responding to this increased demand.”

Roussin said those efforts, along with increased investments in staffing and capacity, help to maintain safe care while the system faces increased demands.

“Ever year, respiratory virus season brings increased pressure on the health care system,” he said. “We’ll see things like influenza, COVID-19, RSV circulating more widely, resulting in increased visits to emergency rooms, urgent cares and increased demands on hospitals and intensive care units.

“This season has brought particularly high levels of respiratory illness activity with admissions to emergency departments and urgent care increasing to roughly about 3,000 presentations, and this is even more than what we’ve seen even in certain times even during the pandemic.”

Roussin still emphasized that vaccination is the best means to address and manage illness right now.

“This is significantly more important for those at increased risk, so young children, older adults, those with underlying medical conditions … if you haven’t been vaccinated this season, it’s still not too late,” he stressed. “We often see a second wave of influenza that comes in early spring, so if you haven’t been vaccinated yet, please do take us up on that opportunity to protect yourself and others.”

He concluded with a few more thoughts about the measles outbreak in the province.

“Manitoba has continued to see high levels of transmission of measles now for over a year … measles is a highly contagious virus, but it’s well understood and very preventable.”

He cited the example of the Ag Days cases as to how risky it is as far as being easily spread.

“Events like this that bring together a lot of people … we have to be aware that the risk of transmission is quite high in these areas … attending these large events, if you’re unvaccinated, is putting you at increased risk of being exposed to measles,” said Roussin, who particularly cited the level of concern and need for increased vaccinations here in the south central region around Winkler, Morden, and Carman where “we’re seeing persistent high levels of transmission.”

On Friday, Manitoba Health’s measles update warned the public of widespread community transmission of measles in the rural municipalities of Stanley, Rhineland, Thompson, Dufferin, and Roland. 

“Individuals should consider themselves potentially exposed to measles at any public location visited within these rural municipalities,” officials stressed. 

Infants are at increased risk of measles-related complications, including subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, a progressive and fatal brain condition that can occur around 10 years after measles infection. To maximize protection against measles, public health strongly recommends infants living in the rural municipalities listed above receive an early dose of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine, if eligible.

Infants aged six months to under 12 months are eligible for one early dose of MMR if they reside in or travel regularly to and have close contact with residents of health regions of Southern Health–Santé Sud, Interlake Eastern or Prairie Mountain Health. All infants in Manitoba are eligible for their first routine immunization dose of measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (MMRV) vaccine at 12 months old.

Since Feb. 1, 2025, there have been 22 reported hospitalizations, with 16 patients being under age 10, official say, and including cases involving difficulty breathing and requiring oxygen support, lung infections, and dehydration. There have also been nine cases of measles in pregnant individuals and one case of congenital measles.

Lorne Stelmach
Lorne Stelmach
Reporter, Morden Winkler Voice. Lorne has been reporting on community news in the Morden and Winkler region for over 30 years. Born and raised in Winnipeg, he studied Business Administration and Creative Communications at Red River College and then worked initially for two years at the Dauphin Herald before starting at the Morden Times in 1987. After his departure from the Times in 2013, he worked briefly with the Pembina Valley Humane Society before returning to journalism in 2015 as a reporter for the Voice. He received the Golden Hand Award from the Volunteer Centre of Winnipeg presented to media for outstanding promotion of volunteers, and has received numerous awards from the Manitoba Community Newspapers Association over the years, including individual honours such as best feature photo and best education and arts stories. Lorne has also been involved in the community in numerous ways, including with the Kinsmen Club, Morden Historical Society, Morden United Way, and the Morden Museum, which is now the Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre. He is currently chairperson of the Pembina Hills Arts Council.

Share post:

Our week

More like this
Related

Hearts build homes

Shirley Stow (left) and Bonnie Latimer attend Habitat for...

Altona MCC cuts the ribbon on new layout

The Altona MCC Gift & Thrift Store kicked off...

King Korn Maze named provincial tourism finalist

A popular fall destination in the Pembina Valley is...

Curtis Klassen Memorial Fund passing the torch on their annual run & walk

A long-running community event in Altona is undergoing a...