Lightning-sparked fire spreads through Netley-Libau Marsh area

Date:

A lightning strike ignited a wildfire in the Netley-Libau Marsh on Sunday evening, prompting an emergency response from multiple fire departments and provincial support.

The East Selkirk Fire Department was first on scene but was unable to access the marshland blaze with equipment. Crews monitored the situation overnight. 

By Monday morning, the fire crossed into nearby grasslands and rapidly intensified. East Beaches and Carol fire departments were called in for mutual aid.

St. Clements chief administrative officer Deepak Joshi said the fire was burning near roads 32 East and 91 North. Four property owners in the area were advised to evacuate their homes.

“We are actively monitoring the situation as it progresses, with water bombers on the way and helicopters from the Province of Manitoba on scene,” said Joshi.

He added that the fire poses a risk of spreading to the nearby Brokenhead and Scanterbury communities.

No injuries had been reported as of press time. The cause of the fire was confirmed to be lightning.

Share post:

spot_img

Our week

More like this
Related

Dandeneau Family Six reunites for Stonewall fundraiser

The Dandeneau Family Six, a well-known Manitoba family band...

Highland Gathering highlighting Scottish culture

This year, the sheep were sheared, swords were swashed,...

Rain doesn’t dampen Fraserwood parade and picnic

Despite the rain, the annual Fraserwood Hall Parade and...

A class to remember

The Carman Collegiate Class of 2026 celebrates a milestone...